City of Newark Logo
11/24/2017 10:59PM
Page Spacer

Downtown Revitalization Fund

Overview:

The City of Newark Development Department announces the availability of grant funds through the Downtown Revitalization Fund Program. The program is intended to encourage economic development in downtown Newark by assisting local businesses in creating an environment that is aesthetically attractive, functional for conducting business, and respectful of downtown’s historic character. Grants are available to both new and existing businesses and organizations. Proposals that will have a positive effect on the abatement of building deterioration, job creation and retention, and the preservation of historic elements will be viewed most favorably by the City. Grant proposals must be consistent with federal, state, county, and local regulations including zoning, building, health and safety codes. The approval of applications will be determined at the sole discretion of the City of Newark Development Department.

 

This program consists of two funding opportunities to assist in improving buildings and infrastructure located in downtown Newark, Ohio:

• Grant provided for exterior rehabilitation and renovation of buildings.

• Grant provided for an exterior non-building project.

The City has budgeted Community Development Block Grant funds for the 2015 program to be used for the exterior rehabilitation and renovation of buildings. The maximum grant for a single exterior rehabilitation and renovation project is $10,000. 

Construction and materials costs are eligible for the exterior rehabilitation and renovation of buildings grant. Costs associated with design, permitting, acquisition, etc. must be paid for by the applicant. The grant may cover up to 60% of the construction and materials costs associated with the project. The remaining 40% must be paid for by the applicant. 

The City has also budgeted Community Development Block Grant funds for the 2015 program to be used for an exterior non-building project. The maximum grant of a single exterior non-building project is $5,000.

The grant must be applied to materials and improvements which will be installed outside of the building and on the property. Some examples are signage, sidewalk improvements, outdoor café seating, outdoor displays, and landscaping improvements. This grant may not be used for construction activities or materials that are a permanent part of a building. The grant may cover up to 60% of the construction and materials costs associated with the project. The remaining 40% must be paid for by the applicant.

Applicants should be aware that the use of these grants to pay for construction activities or construction materials will require that Davis-Bacon prevailing wage rates be paid to all workers for the entire construction project.

Program Goals:

  1. To assist local property owners and businesses in conducting building and property improvement projects.
  2. To improve the aesthetic appearance of downtown buildings and properties.
  3. To address the issues of building deterioration and local blight.
  4. To support the restoration of buildings to include their original historic features.
  5. To create construction jobs and jobs offered by new businesses with an emphasis on jobs to be offered to low to moderate income individuals.
  6. To continue to foster a favorable business climate in Newark.
  7. To serve as a catalyst for further business growth and revitalization.
     

Documents:

Newark DTRF Application Instructions 2015
Newark DTRF Application 2015
Newark DTRF Payroll Form
Prevailing Wage Notification to Employee

Application Attachments:
Downtown District Map
Payroll Form