The history of the Newark Water Treatment Plant began in 1886, the privately owned Newark Water Company began operating a pumping station and distribution system .The water was supplied by wells located near the site and filtered through a wood tub. In 1905, the City of Newark began construction of a municipal pumping station and distribution system that supplied water from the North Fork River to the City. Five years later the City purchased the Newark Water Company and connected that system with the municipal system. Newark began its history of innovation in water treatment in 1922 when it became the first municipal water works that used clarifiers to remove settled sludge by mechanical means. It was at this time that water softening and filtration processes were constructed. At that time the plant included four rapid sand filters, two settling basins, two flocculators, one sludge concentrator, a low lift pump house with electric pumps and a raw water intake structure. The plant had a rated capacity at that time of 6 MGD.
The next major plant expansions occurred in the mid-1950’s when the plant capacity was increased to 15 MGD, a second raw water intake structure was constructed and finished water storage capacity expanded on Horns Hill to 6 MG. Fluoridation was introduced in 1956. Lime sludge lagoons were built in 1965 and filter backwash was initiated in 1974. Over the next several years many of the plant components were rebuilt or modernized. The last major expansion at the plant was completed in 1996 when new chemical feed systems and pumping systems were installed. Along with this all plant processes, including rapid sand filters were completely rebuilt and upgraded.
Most recently, in 2004, the plant disinfection system was changed to using sodium hypochlorite and became one of the first plants in the United States to use UV disinfection. Although the processes and equipment have changed over the years, the goal of providing safe, aesthetically pleasing drinking water has remained the same. Today, the plant is located at the site of the original city-owned facility at 164 Waterworks Road in Newark. The Water Treatment Plant (WTP) continues to provide the nearly 48,000 residents of the City of Newark water for municipal and industrial purposes. The WTP is considered a conventional lime softening plant designed to treat 15 MGD with a design average flow of 11.5 MGD. The current annual peak flow is 9.5 MGD and the annual average is typically around 8.0 MGD.
Shawn L. Wagner, Water Treatment Plant Superintendent
(740) 349 – 6765
swagner AT newarkohio DOT net